Class 12 English NCERT Solutions Vistas Chapter 6 - On the Face of it - Free PDF Download
Every student dreams of having a successful career. Everyone looks forward to the day when he or she can become financially independent. For a lot of students, that journey seems closer than ever when they are in Class 12th. Class 12th students have a lot to look forward to. At the same time, they also have a lot of responsibilities that they have to deal with. One such responsibility is getting the highest possible marks. There are many tips and tricks that students can follow to score well. Solving NCERT questions is also an integral part of preparing for the final examination. If a student is solving questions, he or she should also download On the Face of it Class 12 NCERT Solutions. These solutions are available on Vedantu.
Get Ahead in Class 12 English with NCERT Solutions for Chapter 6 – On The Face Of It
1. Who is Mr Lamb? How does Derry get into his garden? Ans: Mr Lamb is an elderly gentleman with a rusted leg. Years ago, during the war, his real leg was blasted off. He is the sole occupant of his home which has a garden. It's filled with luscious crab apples that are orange and golden in colour. When Derry jumps over the garden wall to get into Mr Lamb's garden and does not utilise the open door to enter only to find Mr Lamb sitting in his garden.
2. Do you think all this will change Derry’s attitude towards Mr Lamb? Ans: Yes, Derry's attitude toward Mr Lamb will change as a result of all of this. Derry's charred face has made him the target of scorn. People sympathized with him, but it was never a heartfelt sympathy. As a result, he developed a negative outlook on life. Everyone loathed and despised him, he believed. Mr Lamb, on the other hand, showed no sympathy for him. Mr Lamb had a tin leg, and Derry had a burnt face, so Mr Lamb could sympathize with him. He assisted the youngster in learning to love and live a happy life without disrespect for himself. Derry had initially dismissed the elderly man as ordinary, but he grew to appreciate and admire him as a result of what he said.
3. What is it that draws Derry towards Mr Lamb despite himself? Ans: Mr Lamb is distinct from the others, according to Derry. When Mr Lamb sees Derry's charred face, he exhibits no surprise or alarm. Instead, he speaks to him in a caring tone. He extends a warm welcome to him in his backyard. He offers to help him by picking apples and making jelly. He refers to him as a friend. He claims that things may appear to be different on the surface, but they are all the same on the inside. He uses flowers, trees, plants, and weeds as examples. They may differ in appearance, but they are all growing live organisms. People can have diverse outward appearances, yet they are all the same on the inside. When Mr Lamb hears Derry declare he dislikes some individuals, he says it can injure him more than any bottle of acid. Hatred, on the other hand, burns one's insides - the soul. He encourages Derry to forget about his burned face. He has two arms and legs, as well as eyes, ears, a tongue, and a brain.
And if he has a strong mind, he will be able to outperform others. Mr Lamb attracts Derry to himself with such words of encouragement.
4. In which section of the play does Mr Lamb display signs of loneliness and disappointment? What are the ways in which Mr Lamb tries to overcome these feelings?
Ans: Although Derry's loneliness is the focus of the play
Mr Lamb's loneliness is evident in the first scene of the play.
He claims to have heard the bees for a long time and that they sing instead of buzz, which shows his perception differs from others and his lack of companionship.
Mr Lamb spent the entire day sitting in the sun reading books, indicating that his only actual friends were books.
He mentions that his empty house is full of books, implying that reading filled the hole in his life.
When he mutters to himself that no one comes back to him after the first meeting, it becomes evident that he is lonely and disappointment.
Mr Lamb does not anticipate Derry's return and ascends the ladder himself to collect all the apples, showing his lack of expectation for companionship.
Ironically, if Derry had not returned, Mr Lamb would have died unnoticed, highlighting the extent of his loneliness.
5. The actual pain or inconvenience caused by a physical impairment is often much less than the sense of alienation felt by the person with disabilities. What is the kind of behaviour that the person expects from others?
Ans: If he is not mocked and punished with cold pity, a person with any physical handicap can live a life of dignity and honour. Instead of sympathy, he expects empathy. If everyone looks down on him with a pessimistic attitude, he may never be able to shake his sadness and, as a result, retreat to his little world. He's already under a lot of mental and emotional strain. As a result, he expects others to be understanding rather than point out his handicap. Derry and Mr Lamb are both caught in a similar scenario in the play. Mr Lamb, as an adult, is capable of dealing with such issues, but Derry, as a youngster, is unable to unravel this web on his own. He takes a liking to this elderly man because he said the words to someone who was going through the same humiliation. The old man assumed the child would want to hear him.
6. Will Derry get back to his old seclusion or will Mr Lamb’s brief association affect a change in the kind of life he will lead in the future? Ans: No, Derry will not return to his seclusion. Derry's brief relationship with Mr Lamb increased his self-esteem and taught him to value himself. Derry underwent a remarkable transformation as a result of the elderly man's teaching him the significance of being self-sufficient, appreciating oneself, and holding on to hope. He tells his mother that his appearance is unimportant because of his newfound self-esteem, and he begins to believe in his abilities rather than his appearance. Mr Lamb's death is unlikely to bring him back to his reclusive existence. This significant shift in him is irreversible and will not be undone by setbacks.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Question 1. What was Derry scared of?
Derry was scared of Mr. Lamb he would not let him in
Derry was scared of Mr. Lamb that he would make other friends
He was scared that he wouldn’t be able to pick crabapples
He was scared because he’d never go anywhere in the world again
Answer: (d) He was scared because he’d never go anywhere in the world again
Question 2. What is the distance between Derry’s house from Mr. Lamb’s house?
Answer: (c) 3 miles
Question 3. Derry preferred him to be called?
Answer: (b) Derek
Question 4. How many friends did Mr. lamb claim to have?
hundreds of friends
two or three friends
a couple of friends
Answer: (a) hundreds of friends
Question 5. What type of things did Derry feel Mr. Lamb said?
He said peculiar things
He said sad things
He said funny things
He said profound things
Answer: (a) He said peculiar things
Question 6. What did Derry not like?
Derry did not like people being friendly
Derry did not like people being afraid of him
Derry did not like people being affectionate
Derry did not like people being sympathetic
Answer: (b) Derry did not like people being afraid of him
NCERT Solution of Ch 6 On the Face of it - Free PDF Download
There is a lot of hype around the Class 12th board exams every single year. Most of those concerns are genuine. Scoring good marks in Class 12th board examination can put students on the path of good colleges. Scoring badly can result in the student being lost in all chaos of admissions. This is why students must try their best to score top marks in their final examinations. The only way one can achieve that is through hard work. Students must read their textbooks thoroughly. After that, one must also find out about NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6. The questions of other chapters should also be solved.
What if a student is unable to find the right answer? What if schools are closed, and the student has to wait around to contact his or her teachers? In that case, it is suggested that students should download Class 12th English On the Face of it NCERT Solutions. We, at Vedantu, provide students with the answers to all the questions that are mentioned in NCERT. Students can download solutions of almost all chapters and subjects from Vedantu.
Chapter-wise NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas
NCERT Solution of On the Face of it Class 12 - Free PDF Download
English is one of those subjects in which a student cannot even dream of achieving mastery in a single night. Instead, if a student wants to score good marks in English, he or she must focus on consistency. What we mean by this is that students must solve questions and practice their writing skills every single day. This will allow students to recognize the most common mistakes. These mistakes can later be avoided during the examination. Also, it is recommended that students should download NCERT Solutions PDF from Vedantu. This will allow students to match and double-check the answers that he or she has written.
Summary Of Chapter 6: On the Face of it
On the Face of it is a play that is included in the English Vistas book. This play introduces readers to an old man and a small boy. The boy is very socially withdrawn and defiant. Both of these characters face various struggles in their lives. Somehow, despite all that, the old man and the young boy form a friendship. This chapter narrates this story while highlighting various social and personal issues that can be observed in the world today.
Marks Weightage of CBSE Chapter 6 English Class 12
English Chapter 6 of Vistas Class 12th is a part of the literature section. The literature section is worth a total of 30 marks. However, the same writing skills that will be required to answer this section can also be used to solve the questions of other sections.
Benefits of NCERT Solutions Class 12 English Vistas On the Face of it
Students can experience various benefits if they decide to download NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Chapter 6 Vistas On the Face of it. Some of those benefits are:
CBSE guidelines have been strictly followed to answer all the questions.
The solutions PDF can be downloaded for free from Vedantu.
The questions have been solved by some of the teachers in India.
If a student is confused about the answer to a question, he or she can also refer to the explanation section to get a more detailed understanding of the issue.
Students can take live lectures if they want to achieve more clarity in their concepts.
If there are any more questions, students can always post those on Vedantu’s platform, and one of the teachers will reply as soon as possible.
What are you waiting for? If you wish to experience these benefits, then install the Vedantu app today!
How Would Vedantu Study Material Help in Scoring Better Grades?
Our goal at Vedantu is to assist every student in achieving their best possible grades.
We are always prepared to assist students, which is why we provide a wide range of helpful services.
Our free solutions PDF is available to all students, and it is an excellent tool for double-checking or learning answers to tough questions.
Only the top educators in India write our solutions, ensuring that they are 100% accurate and dependable.
This eliminates any possibility of error, allowing students to avoid losing marks due to minor errors.
Our services and benefits are available to all students who choose to download and use the Vedantu app.
The Vedantu app can be downloaded from the AppStore, providing students with access to all of our resources at their fingertips.
FAQs on NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Chapter 6 - On The Face Of It
1. Who was Mr Lamb?
Mr Lamb was the name of the old man who lived in the big house. His house had a beautiful and large garden. Mr Lamb enjoyed talking to people and making new friends. He had lost one of his legs during the war. This was why he had a tin leg.
2. How did Derry get Into Mr Lamb’s Garden?
Mr Lamb was a friendly man who always kept the doors to his garden open. Derry was a young boy who suffered from self-esteem issues. Derry preferred to be alone. One day, Derry dashed across the garden when he found it to be empty and entered the garden.
3. Can I Download Solutions to Other Vistas English Chapters?
Yes, at Vedantu, students can find solutions to other Vistas English chapters. Solutions are also available for NCERT books of other subjects as well.
4. What is the story in Chapter 6 about?
The story On the Face Of It, is about a teenage boy named Derry and a man named Mr. Lamb. Derry has a burnt face while Mr Lamb is a disabled man with a prosthetic tin leg. While trying to hide himself from people who hate him, Derry accidentally stumbles into Mr Lamb’s garden. Mr. Lamb welcomes the child into his garden and encourages him to lead a normal life.
5. What is the setting of scene 1?
The setting of scene 1 as described by the author is Mr. Lamb’s garden. The only sounds that can be heard is the chirping of the birds along with the occasional rustling of the tree leaves. Derry, the young boy with the burnt face is seen entering the garden hesitantly. To know more such details about the chapter, visit the page NCERT Solutions Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6.
6. Who is the author of Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6?
Susan Hill is the author behind the story On the Face of It. She is a renowned English author who has written several fiction and nonfiction books. Her novels include popular titles such as the ‘Woman in Black’, ‘The Mist in the Mirror’ and ‘I’m the King of the Castle’ for which she was presented with the Somerset Maugham award in the year 1971.
7. How are NCERT solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6 beneficial?
Expert teachers from Vedantu have solved some of the most frequently asked questions from this chapter. All the solutions are available on the page NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6. These NCERT Solutions enable students to get a good grasp over their concepts and understand the poems and prose pieces taught to them in depth. Moreover, the solutions pdf can be accessed and downloaded all at no cost on the Vedantu app as well.
8. Where can I download Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6?
You can download Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6 from the page NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6. Subject Matter Experts have created these solutions and they are all readily available with the help of a few clicks. In this tech savvy world, this allows students to access textbooks on all their electronic devices with no hassle. Visit the page NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6 and download the PDF free of cost.