Difference Between Blood and Plasma

Before discussing what is the difference between blood and plasma? Let us have some basic idea about blood and plasma Then we can discuss in brief about the Difference between blood and plasma. The same question can also be asked as “Difference between blood and blood plasma”.


Blood 

Blood is part of the circulatory system. It helps to carry oxygen, Nutrients, and metabolic wastes to different parts of the body in humans as well as animals and also helps to transport metabolic waste away from those same cells.


The main components of the blood are blood cells (RBC, WBC, and Platelets), suspended in the blood plasma. In blood cells, RBCs (Red Blood Cells) are also known as erythrocytes and WBCs (White blood cells) are also known as leukocytes. Platelets are also referred to as thrombocytes. Vertebrates generally have blood that is red in colour due to the presence of haemoglobin. However, blood is bright red in colour when haemoglobin is oxygenated and dark red in colour when blood is deoxygenated.

[Image will be uploaded soon]

Function of Blood:

Blood performs the important function some of the functions are listed below.

  • It supplies oxygen and other important nutrients to the tissue.

  • It also helps to remove carbon dioxide and other waste products from the tissue.

  • It helps in clotting at the site of injury and cut with the help of platelets.

  • It helps to regulate the temperature and Ph of the body.


Plasma

Plasma is the major component of the blood. It acquires around 55% of the blood and the rest 45% are RBC, WBC, and platelets. When the only plasma is separated from the blood, it is light yellow in colour and it acquires blood, salts, and enzymes. In simple words, we can say that the liquid part of blood is known as plasma.

The main function of the plasma is to carry nutrients, hormones, and proteins to the parts of the body that require them. It also includes antibodies, Clotting factor, proteins albumin, and fibrinogen. Plasma is donated to others to treat many serious health problems. If people want to donate plasma, they go by a screening process to check blood is healthy and safe.


Function of Plasma:

As plasma is one of the components of the blood, it performs an almost similar function as compared to the blood.

  • It maintains the electrolyte and fluid balance in the body.

  • It helps in immune function and clotting of the blood.

  • It will serve as a protein reserve for the body.

  • It helps in the transportation of carbon dioxide, essential nutrients (organic, inorganic components and plasma proteins), hormones (bound to plasma proteins), waste (urea, uric acid, and creatinine), and other substances (for example drugs and alcohol) to and from the tissues.

Now, we have a basic idea about blood and plasma so let’s discuss the difference between blood and plasma.


What is the Difference Between Plasma and Blood?

Sl.no

Blood 

Plasma

1

Blood is the main body fluid that helps in the transportation of nutrients, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and waste products to carry out waste products. 

Plasma is the liquid component of the blood excluding blood cells.

2

It is composed of Plasma, WBC, RBC, and platelets.

It is composed of Water (90%), Protein, Nutrients, Waste products, Clotting factors, Minerals, Hormones, and Carbon dioxide. 

3

Blood is red in colour.

Plasma is straw- yellow in colour.

4

Blood contains the cells (Red, white) and platelets. 

Plasma does not contain any cells.


Storage of Blood and Plasma 

Blood is stored in the blood banks which is used for blood transfusion and the components of the blood like platelets, blood plasma, and coagulation factors are stored and administered intravenously.

Blood plasma is stored by freezing at -40 degrees celsius for 10 years and it can be used to treat the diseases relating to coagulation factor-like coagulopathies and liver diseases. Earlier it was used during World War II.

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

1. Why Blood is Red in Colour?

Ans. Human blood is red in colour due to the presence of protein haemoglobin. Haemoglobin contains a red-coloured compound called heme which helps in carrying oxygen through the bloodstream.

2. What is Common Between Blood and Plasma?

Ans. Both blood and plasma have the clotting. Looking at the overall factor, both are components of the fluid connective tissue which helps in the various functions of the body.

3.  What are the Diseases Caused by Blood and Plasma?

Ans. Blood disorders are anaemia, Genetic disorders, Leukemia, Hemophilia, Carbon monoxide poisoning, Infectious disorder, and some of the other disorders include dehydration, atherosclerosis, and others.

In plasma, due to excessive drainage or addition of fluid, it causes plasma shift. This change could be caused by the change in fluid volume across capillary membranes. This may lead to a change in the coagulation factor which will cause coagulation disorders.