JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2019 – SC, ST, OBC, PWD
Aspiring individuals aiming to enrol in an IIT need to sit for JEE Advanced after they successfully clear their JEE Mains. JEE Advanced is the final leg qualifying which candidates appear for a few rounds of counselling before being finally selected for an IIT.
This year, more than 2,24,000 applicants are Going to appear for JEE Advanced.
The Indian Government provides a guideline for the reserved section. Candidates belonging from selected categories can enjoy reservation benefits in JEE Advanced. For that, however, they need to produce relevant documents as proof of their claim.
The table below will give you a proper idea regarding the division of categories (in percentage):
RESERVATION OF SEATS
Other Backward Classes (OBC)
Scheduled Tribe (ST)
Scheduled Caste (SC)
The remaining 50% of the seats are reserved for the General candidates. Apart from the above table, the Indian Government also keeps another 5% seats in reserve for PwD category.
Moreover, there are specific essential points which an aspiring candidate from the reserved category should keep in mind while Going for the JEE Advanced 2019.
Points to remember:
• Eligibility criteria for SC/ST candidates are determined by the Government of India.
• Note that the applicants who fall under CL (Creamy Layer*) category of OBC will not be treated under the Reservation category.
• Aspiring candidates of OBC (CL) will only be eligible for General seats.
NOTE: *Creamy layer is a term used by GoI to notify those who are in a better position, educationally and socially, thus, not fitting under the Government sponsored reservation program.
What are the documents required?
Applicants essentially require the following two official documents for JEE Advanced in 2019.
• Those who fall under the PwD category need to show their own disability certificate.
• The rest need to produce their reservation certificate which has been issued by any competent authority under the Government of India (GOI).
Reservation criteria for PwD in JEE Advanced 2019
I. Applicants who are having 40% or more disability will be given preference.
II. Priority is given to those who are leprosy cured and fit enough to pursue their dream.
Apart from these, the Government will issue a scribe for the PwD candidates who are unable to write in the examination due to specific physical issues. The scribe is the one who will write it on his or her behalf. However, officials shall check medical reports of the candidate with a disability to provide him/her with a writer. Hence, it needs to cover some standard medical criteria.
Details of Medical Authority
1) The minimum handicap percentage is 40%.
2) A scribe will be offered if a person is permanently disabled.
3) Medical reports are considered only when those are by any government institution.
Reservation for Women
After a lot of discussions, the government officials and the top engineering colleges decided to increase the percentage of seats reserved for women. Initially, the places reserved under women’s quota were 8%, but from 2018-19, it has been raised to 14% and will remain this way in the coming future.
It was mainly done to have more gender parity in IITs and other top engineering organisations.
What is the procedure to claim JEE Advanced reservation of 2019?
I. Applicants who are eligible need to fill up a relevant form providing all essential information regarding their category.
II. Next, they must show proof of their reservation category in the form of documents like reservation certificate. These are essential to carry during the time of counselling.
III. Any candidate failing to show relevant and acceptable proof shall not be considered under reservation category, and hence, fall under the General category.
Reservation for Foreign Nationals
JEEAdvanced 2019 also allows foreign nationals under the official reservation policy of the Indian Government. International candidates aspiring to join any of the high-ranking engineering institutes of this country need to fall under the below criteria to be considered:
• Candidates who are not citizens of India by birth (non-citizens).
• The DOB (Date of Birth) of those foreign applicants should be after or on the 1st of October 1994.
• International candidates must have given his or her class 12 examination or any equivalent exam in his or her respective country in 2018 or 2019.
• There are certain countries where citizens need to join the armed forces primarily for a specific period. It can range from 3 months to 3 years after candidates pass class 12 examination of their respective country of origin. In such exceptional cases, the GoI officials will not count those years in service if an aspiring foreign applicant can provide proper documents.
• The GoI keeps an additional 10% seats reserved for foreign nationals for the JEE Advanced 2019.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
If you still have doubts regarding procedures and criteria of JEE Advanced reservation policy 2019, then below is a list of essential and most commonly asked questions related to the reservation process.
Question 1: I am a football player and have represented Kerala U-17. Will I be included under any sports quota for JEE Advanced 2019?
Answer: There is no sports quota in JEE Advanced 2019.
Question 2:I am a student in Nepal. Can I apply?
Answer: As mentioned earlier, students who belong to other countries have a quota of 10% under the foreign national reservation student who belong to the devotion criteria, allotted by the GoI. They will not be included under OBC/SC/ST communities as stated by the Indian Government.
Question 3:How many seats are allotted to the candidates who belong from Defence background?
Answer: In JEE Advanced 2019, only 2 seats will be allotted to every student who belongs to the defence background. Though, an aspiring applicant will be listed under current merit list.
Hopefully, the above mentioned criteria and procedures have been crystal cleared to you. Make sure to follow every step carefully, and it’s advisable to carry all necessary official documents if you fall under any of the categories mentioned above.
Important point to remember:
Make sure that your reservation category’s documents and forms are submitted and signed by 1st of June 2019 and should not be delayed at any cost. By any chance, any applicant is unable to provide the documents in time, then he or she will be considered under the General quota.