DDT is toxic to a wide range of living organisms, including marine animals. It is a persistent organic pollutant that is readily absorbed by soils and sediments, which can act both as sinks and as long-term sources of exposure, contributing to terrestrial organisms.Complete step by step answer:
-DDT stands for dichloro-diphenyl-trichloroethane.
-Due to hydrophobic properties, in aquatic ecosystems DDT and its metabolites are absorbed by aquatic organisms and adsorbed of suspended particles, leaving little DDT dissolved in the water itself.
-Once in the environment, DDT in soil lasts for a very long time. Some studies show that half the DDT in soil breaks down within 2 years, and some studies show that it breaks down in 15 years.
-Some DDT may evaporate from soil and enter the air, and some may be broken down by the sun or by microorganisms.
-It was a great and cheap toxin for insects, helping plants to grow without the risk of being eaten. At the time of its creation, DDT’s toxin did not affect humans and animals and only affected the pests at that time, which increased crop harvest at the time.
Its structure is as shown:
It is a colorless, tasteless, and almost odorless crystalline chemical compound. It became infamous for its environmental impacts i.e. it caused air, water and soil pollution.Hence, option D is correct.Note:
It is very important to note that it was banned in the US in 1972, because of the health risks that emerge from its usage. It is very insoluble in water and very persistent in the environment, making it a highly polluting hazard. Laboratory animal studies showed effects on the liver and reproduction.