Courses for Kids
Free study material
Offline Centres
Store Icon

Conservation of Water

Last updated date: 23rd May 2024
Total views: 384.9k
Views today: 8.84k
hightlight icon
highlight icon
highlight icon
share icon
copy icon

Water Conservation and its Ways

Water conservation is a broad category that covers simple ways to save water at home to complex, long term measures taken to preserve water on a larger scale. 70% of the earth's surface is covered with water, though it is not entirely useful to humans. 97% of saltwater covering oceans is not drinkable for humans and the remaining 3% is mostly frozen in glaciers. 

Water conservation is the practice of an efficient usage of water by reducing unnecessary wastage of the same. The importance of water conservation becomes even more necessary as there is a limited source of freshwater that is beneficial for all human beings for a Healthy lifestyle. The freshwater available for use is unevenly distributed. Human activities are polluting the water sources threatening the survival of living beings. So, water conservation focuses on the concept of “save water and save a life”.

The Need for Water Conservation

It comes as no surprise that water is one of the most essential elements for the survival of any lifeform on the surface of Earth. The presence of water is what makes Earth different from any other planet. The need to maintain the constant flow of water comes from its vitality for the survival of all flora and fauna on the Earth.  

Just because a portion of the human population has easy access to water resources, we keep forgetting why saving water is important. Saving water is not only a necessity for humans, our careless waste of water is also affecting the animals and plants around us. There are serious consequences of water depletion.

Ways to Conserve Water

Water conservation is essential and can be done by everyone. We can all contribute to saving water. Very small-scale changes can be made to preserve water. Even the people who aren’t facing water shortages should find ways to save water at home.

Several techniques can be implemented for the conservation of water that has been discussed below:-

  • Careful Use of Water: Keep the taps turned off when not in use. Usage of efficient home appliances like washing machines and dishwashers can save a lot of water. Even without the appliances, make sure you don’t overuse water while washing dishes or clothes.

  • Don’t Wash Down Garbage: Make sure to not wash down small bits of trash that use a large amount of water to flush down the drain. Always put them in the bin.

  • Don’t Run The Faucet to Clean Vegetables: Fill a container with water to wash fruits and vegetables. Keeping them under the faucet while water runs down will lead to unnecessary wastage of water.

  • Check for Leaks: Leaks can cause a significant amount of water loss if left unchecked. So, check the faucet, taps, and pipes for leaks regularly. While turning the tap off make sure to turn it all the way or it may keep dripping.

  • Water the Plants Smartly: While watering your plants keep in mind the temperature and time of the day, so water doesn’t evaporate quickly. Reuse water from cleaning and laundry to water the plants.

  • Reduce Bathing Water Amount: While bathing or taking a shower make sure to not let the water run down for a longer period or unnecessarily. 

  • The best way to conserve water is to recycle and reuse it.

  • Try limiting your shower time to 10 to 15 minutes because humans carelessly consume gallons of water for luxuriously long showers. So Reducing the shower time would prevent excessive wastage of water.

  • Rusting pipes Leaky faucets dripping water from shower heads Earth science of unnecessary water wastage that needs to be fixed immediately to avoid wasting water.

  • Try using a compost Bin instead of in-sink garbage disposal. Compost bins are environmentally friendly and reduce water wastage.

  • Maintenance of appliances can prevent potential leaks and wastage of energy.

  • We can save gallons of water by turning off the water while brushing our teeth, shaving, showering, and washing dishes as these daily routine activities have resulted in excessive consumption of water.

  • Promote plantation of drought-resistant trees and plants as these can thrive even without irrigation.

  • Trees and plants with a layer of mulch around them slow down the evaporation of moisture.

These are some of the many ways to save water. Moreover, people need to be educated and made aware of the ways of saving water. Make an effort to educate the people around you on why you think saving water is important.

Water Conservation Facts 

  • With 16% of the world population, India only has 4% of the total available freshwater.

  • Agriculture only accounts for 80% of India’s total water consumption.

  • The biggest water rejuvenation plan launched by the Indian government is “Namami Gange” for the Ganges river basin.

  • Rain accounts for 85% of the available water while the rest 15% is from melting snow.

  • The water prerequisite of India is 1100 billion cubic meters per year.

  • 84% of rural households do not have access to piped water lines.

  • Lack of water causes a heavy loss in income since Indian women spend 150 million workdays every year carrying and fetching water.

  • Around 10 crore people consume water with an excessive amount of fluoride.

  • Almost 68% of the earth's fresh water is contained in Ice and glaciers. Freshwater can be found in rivers, streams, and lakes and also in glaciers and groundwater.

  • Do you know where the saltiest water in the world is found?

  • Well, the saltiest water in the world is found in a small lake Don Juan Pond in Antarctica.

These facts tell more than enough about why conservation of water is important. The current situation regarding the depleting amount of water tells us about the dire need of why it is essential to conserve water.

FAQs on Conservation of Water

1. What are five ways to conserve water at home?

From the various ways by which we could save water below mentioned are five of them. All these ways help to save water at home and are quite simple. Reuse water from cleaning and dishwashing or laundry for watering your plants. Do not water the plants in the rainy season or during noon due to evaporation. Turn the taps all the way off while not in use to stop water wastage by dripping. 

Check for leaks in the pipes and faucets regularly. Do not keep the water running while brushing your teeth. Use it only to wash hands, mouth, and brush. Refrain from flushing the toilet unnecessarily to reduce water usage. Use a minimum amount of water for cleaning, washing clothes and dishes.

(Image will be uploaded soon)

2. Why do you think saving water is important?

Saving water is important for the following reasons. The human body is 75% water, it accounts for a large and vital portion of life. We need water for all daily activities including drinking. Plants and animals all around can’t survive a lack of water. Plants with a lack of water will die off easily and lead to a drought which then will affect the animals in that habitat for food sources. 

The scarcity of water has both an active and passive impact on the climate. It contributes to climate change. The amount of fresh water is limited and with the careless usage and increasing water pollution, we must pick up the pace in preserving it for future generations. 

(Image will be uploaded soon)

3. What is the importance of water conservation?

Conservation of water is very much necessary as it helps in keeping the water clean and pure while it also protects the environment. Water is the most essential natural resource that is being constantly polluted. 

The amount of fresh water is very limited. Freshwater is essential for a healthy lifestyle and every person has the right to utilise the natural resources for their benefits but an excessive wastage of the same can really cause a threat to the current generation as well as the upcoming ones.

4. What are the important methods of water conservation?

Becoming self-aware of the proper utilisation of the natural resource can be the most effective way of conservation of the same. We can start by implementing water conservation methods in our homes first and should also advise others to follow certain water conservation methods. There are various important methods like-  water metering, rainwater harvesting, greywater recycling, water-efficient bathroom accessories and pressure reducing valves, etc. All these methods can help in the conservation of water.

5. What is the easiest way to use greywater?

Greywater can be easily used for watering ornamental trees and plants. It can also be used in the irrigation of vegetable plants. In the greywater system, it is beneficial to use plant-friendly products without boron, salt, chlorine, and bleach, as the build-up of these chemicals can damage the plants. Greywater is released in lakes, rivers, and estuaries then it can highly pollute the nutrients but it can be a valuable fertilizer to plants.

6. Why is rainwater harvesting important?

Rainwater harvesting is one of the most common methods for the conservation of water. It is the easiest and most effective form of water conservation. Rainwater harvesting avoids soil erosion and prevents urban flooding by reducing the flow of stormwater. Buildings in houses that utilise rainwater harvesting systems for the conservation of water have a built-in catch area on their rooftops which in case of rainstorms can collect a large volume of water.