JEE Mains 2020 Counselling Procedure and Seat Allotment by JoSAA
JEE Main Counselling
JEE Main result is of prime importance to those who are willing to seek admission into private and government engineering colleges. It is also important for those aspiring to appear for JEE Advanced and get a seat in an IIT. JEE Main counselling process is especially important for those keen to start a successful engineering career.
JEE counselling process progression overview
First, let’s look at a few facts on the counselling process.
• The counselling process for JEE Mains is of 3 types viz. – JoSAA, CSAB SFTI, and CSAB SFTI.
• CSAB NEUT – It is the counselling process for supernumerary seats in North East and Union Territories
• CSAB SFTI – It is a distinct counselling process for the 17 SFTIs, conducted by the Central Seat Allocation Board.
• 31 NITs and 23 Other Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs) participate in the JEE main counselling.
• Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) is responsible for conducting the entire counselling process.
Before JEE Main seat allotment begins, there will be two mock rounds. These mock rounds are to help candidates know about the seats in colleges they secure based on their choices. After the mock rounds, 7 main rounds of seat allotment will begin.
• B. Sequential overview of all the counselling steps
Step I: Online Registration
A candidate needs to enrol with his/her roll number and password to participate in the online counselling process.
Steps for JEE Main counselling registration online –
• On the official website of JoSAA, click on the link to register.
• Enter your JEE Main roll number, password and log in.
• Read all instructions clearly and hit “I Agree.”
• Verify all details you have furnished, and click “Confirm resubmission.”
Step II: Online choice filling and locking
In this step of JEE Main counselling 2020, candidates will select and lock their choices by following the order of their preferred B. Tech programme.
Step III: Allotment of seat
Based on a candidate’s merit, available seats, and preference entered, he/she will be awarded seats. After JEE main counselling result 1st round is revealed, one needs to proceed to the next step.
[Note – An SMS or e-mail will be sent to the candidate about seat allotment on his/her registered mobile number/ email id.]
Step IV: Seat acceptance & payment of fee
After the seat is allotted, candidates will have the option to choose amongst the following–
In case a candidate is satisfied with his/her allotted seat and don’t want to look for any other options and participate in subsequent rounds of JEE Main counselling 2020, this is the option he/she needs to choose.
If a candidate wishes to keep his/her seat while also looking for a better option to upgrade his/her seats by participating in subsequent rounds, he/she must choose this option.
If a candidate accepts the seat of a certain institute allotted but wishes to upgrade to another course within the same institute, he/she must choose this option.
When a candidate wants to give up a seat that he/she has already accepted, it’s possible to do so by exercising this option.
Fee for counselling – A seat acceptance fee of Rs. 45,000 will be charged to general category candidates. SC/ST/PwD/OBC candidates will need to pay a subsidized charge of Rs. 20,000.
Step V: Document verification
A candidate will need to get his/her documents verified at a help centre for completing the seat allotment process. Here are all requisite documents – Three copies of the passport size photograph uploaded during the registration, provisional JoSAA seat allotment letter, identity card, a payment proof for seat acceptance, proof for Date of Birth, JEE Main admit and scorecard, class XII mark sheet, and category certificate.
Step VI: Final reporting to the allotted institute
After the verification process, a candidate must report at the applied institute and pay all necessary fees.
•A compact timeline of the JEE Main counselling 2020 process
• D. Other forms of JEE Main counselling: CSAB NAUTand CSAB SFTI
CSAB NAUT counselling –
• • It is conducted as a part of the JEE main counselling process to allocate supernumerary seats in North East and Union Territories.
• • The process would be organized by the Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB).
CSAB SFTI counselling –
• • For allocation of seats in Self Financing Technical Institutes.
• • 34 SFTI participate in this part of the counselling.
• • Seats are allocated strictly based on the order of preference as opted by the candidate and on JEE Main All India Rank.
Common queries related to JEE main counselling procedure answered
• 1. Is it possible to fill the choices at the reporting centre?
No, a choice filling is a solely online procedure, and a candidate must do it on the specific mentioned date.
• 2. What can be done in case one isn’t interested in the seat offered, yet wants to proceed into further rounds?
You cannot proceed in the allotment process after filling in a choice of a course and accepting a seat.
• 3. What happens when a seat is offered in the 1st round, but a candidate doesn’t accept it?
In this case, the candidate must leave his/her seat to progress further in the process and access the float option.
• 4. Is it possible to get a refund of the acceptance fee?
It’s possible to claim a refund of acceptance fee online, under the condition that the candidate gives up his/her seat.
• 5. What is dual reporting?
Dual reporting is the situation when a candidate has secured two seats. Suppose an aspirant has accepted an NIT seat in the Round 1 of the counselling process and has accepted a seat in another institute as well. He/she must report to the institute that is considered an up-gradation. Failing to do so will result in the candidate losing all the seats.
• 6. State code of eligibility
The state code of eligibility will be decided according to a place from where a candidate passed his/her 12th standard.
• 7. What happens when one doesn’t lock a choice?
If a candidate doesn’t lock his/her choices, then the last saved choices will be automatically locked after the time-window for choice filing concludes.
Remember to do your research on opening and closing ranks of colleges in the past years. Also, find out as much as you can about the quality of education imparted in the universities you are interested in. The right information will help you avoid delays and confusion. You can also visit the JEE main counselling official website for reference.
Now that you are well acquainted with JEE main counselling scheduleand process, you can go about it with confidence.