A square is a unique four-sided polygon which is equilateral as well as equiangular. All the four angles of a square are right angles, each equal to 360°/4, which is equal to 90°. In this section, we are going to learn about all the formulae related to square which will help us in computing its area, perimeter and the lengths of its diagonals.
Let’s start with its properties first;
Properties of a Square
• The diagonals of a square bisect each other and meet at 90°
• The diagonals of a square bisect its angles.
• Opposite sides of a square are both parallel and equal in length.
• All four angles of a square are equal.
• All four sides of a square are equal.
• The diagonals of a square are equal
The perimeter of a square having length of four sides as ‘a’ is Perimeter = 4a.
2. Length of a Diagonal of a Square
It can be easily computed using Pythagoras theorem, Diagonal = 2a Area = a2 = (3)2 = 9 cm2