Science is a subject of extensive learning about the universe and its behaviour in different ways. Science helps students to find out the why behind every thing and the cause behind the effect. In this way, students can apply their learning and understand the importance of education. For students, there are mainly three categories in science. Physics, the study of matter and its constituents. Chemistry, the study of substances and Biology, the study of Living beings. Chemistry is a branch of science that studies substances and its properties and nature. Chemistry helps students understand different fields of life like medicine, food digestion, hygiene, discoloration of leaves etc.
Hypophosphorous acid (HPA) also known as phosphonic acid is a phosphorous oxoacid and also acts as a good reducing agent. It is basically a colourless aqueous solution that is soluble in water, dioxin as well as in alcohol. The hypophosphorous acid formula which is the same for phosphinic acid formula is H3PO2 is a neutral molecule with no spare charge on it. Thus the oxidation number of the central atom phosphorus is +1 which can be described as follows.
As the whole charge on the H3PO2 molecule is zero. Charge on a single hydrogen atom is one and there are three atoms present in the molecules that make it 3. Similarly, the valency of a single oxygen atom is (-2) and there are 2 oxygen atoms present in the molecule. Thus the formula would be considering the oxidation state of the phosphorus atom as unknown as therefore represented as X.
1x31x3 + X +(−2)x2 (−2)x2 = 3 - 4 + X = -1 + X or, X = 1.
Hypophosphorous acid formula or phosphinic acid formula that has a more precise and descriptive presentation as HOP(O)H2 which is the actual hypophosphorous acid chemical formula that actually represents the monoprotic characteristics by the later molecular formula.
HOP(O)H2 is in equilibrium with the minor structural formula of hypophosphorous acid that is interconvertible like HP(OH)2. The minor tautomers are referred to as hypophosphorous acid and the major monomers are called phosphinic acid.
The Structural Formula For Hypophosphorous Acid
The structural phosphinic acid formula that is also referred to as the structural representation of the chemical formula of hypophosphoric acid is pseudo tetrahedral in nature as illustrated below with 2D and 3D models.
According to the chemical formula of Hypophosphorous acid, it is an oxoacid that has pentavalent phosphorus that is covalently bonded with the two hydrogen atoms, one hydroxyl atom, and with an oxygen atom via a double bond that is present in the H3PO2. Phosphinic acids are the parent of the hypophosphorous acid and are conjugate acids of phosphinate.
Properties and Uses
Uses of Hypophosphorous Acid
It is used as a salt (sodium hypophosphite) in industries for electroless nickel plating
H3PO2 is used to reduce arene diazonium salt in organic solvents from ArN2+ to Ar-H. when diazotization is carried out with concentrated H3PO2 amine substitutes are removed from arenes.
It is used for the synthesis of phosphinic derivatives
Because of its mild reducing agent property, it is used in Fischer’s esterification reactions.
Hypophosphoric Acid Formula
Hypophosphoric acid is a mineral acid where the central atom phosphorus shows a +4 oxidation state. The chemical formula of hypophosphoric acid is H4O2P6. In a solid state, the hypophosphoric acid is present in the form of anhydride and the molecular representation hypophosphoric acid formula for the solid-state is H4O2P6・H2O. The acid is synthesised by reacting red phosphorus with sodium chlorite at room temperature. In the hypophosphoric acid formula both the phosphorus atoms are alike and they make direct bonds with each other (P-P). but is phosphoric acid that is an isomeric form of hypophosphoric acid do not have alike phosphorus atom where one phosphorus is directly attached to a hydrogen atom and exhibit a +3 oxidation state while the other phosphorus atom is attached with an oxygen atom that forms a bridge between the phosphorus atoms like (P-O-P) and has a +5 oxidation state.
The Structural Formula For Hypophosphoric Acid
The structural molecular formula of hypophosphoric acid is given below in 2D and 3D structures.
Hypophosphoric acid possesses oxonium that can be represented as [H3O]+[ H4O2P6]2- that has an isostructural representation with its diammonium salt that consists of [HOPO2PO2OH] which is an anion with P-P bond length equals 219 pm. It has a staggering structure that is very similar to the molecular structure of methane. Each phosphorus atom attached to the oxygen shares a bond length of P-O equals 151 pm and the P-OH bond equals 159 pm.
Properties and Uses
Uses of Hypophosphoric Acid are:
It is used as a bleaching agent as well as a very good reducing agent
In industries, it is mostly used as a wetting agent
In most pharmaceutical agents it is applied as stimulants.
Advantages of learning from Vedantu
1) Vedantu is an e-learning platform that provides free access to an online library of academic books like NCERTs and other important references like RD Sharma, RS Aggarwal, HC Verma, Exemplar, Lakhmir Singh etc. Vedantu also provides NCERT Solutions, Reference Solutions, Topic-wise Explanations, Revision notes and key notes, Important Questions, Sample question papers and Previous Year's question papers with answer keys solved by Expert teachers at Vedantu. This is applicable to all the students of English medium and Hindi medium. This is also the same for CBSE, ICSE and State board students.
2) Vedantu provides Micro courses on several important topics of every class at a pocket friendly price of rupee 1 per course to enhance the learning quality of students with ease and fun.
3) Vedantu provides several online learning courses with personalised teaching to junior students and preschool kids. These include courses like English reading course, maths classes, coding Classes, spoken English course for the students of age 4 to 14 at a very affordable price.
4) Vedantu provides a Vedantu Improvement Promise (VIP) for every student who gets a Vedantu course that assures money back guarantee if the student fails to track any progress through learning at Vedantu. This makes Vedantu a safer platform than others where students are not provided with this service.
5) At Vedantu, students get a 7 day Free trial that provides them access to all the LIVE masterclasses, notes and tests unlocked. This helps students understand the process and teaching method of Vedantu.
6) Vedantu provides a LIVE learning experience from the LIVE and interactive teaching classes, regular doubt sessions conducted by dedicated teachers, objective tests like turbo maths to make learning fun and easy, regular quizzing sessions with surprise gifts and a free MEGA scholarship test conducted online. So what are you waiting for? Download the Vedantu app or register yourself at vedantu.com to begin your best academic adventure till date, right now!