Courses
Courses for Kids
Free study material
Offline Centres
More
Store Icon
Store

Which of the following is iron ore?
A) Bauxite
B) Hematite
C) Dolomite
D) Alunite

seo-qna
Last updated date: 15th Jul 2024
Total views: 346.8k
Views today: 7.46k
Answer
VerifiedVerified
346.8k+ views
Hint: An ore is defined as a rock from which a particular mineral can be profitably extracted. For example- Iron ores are the rocks from which metallic iron can be economically extracted. The ores of metallic minerals are generally located in igneous and metamorphic rocks.

Complete answer:
Let us look into the options:
Option A. Bauxite: The world’s main source of aluminium is bauxite ore. It is a rock formed from a reddish clay material known as laterite soil. It mainly consists of compounds of aluminium oxide (alumina), silica, iron oxides and titanium dioxide. Hence, it is not a correct option.
Option B. Hematite: It is one of the most abundant minerals found on the surface of Earth and the most important iron ore. It is a popular rock-forming mineral present in sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic rocks at various locations throughout the world. Hence, it is the correct option.
Option C. Dolomite: It is the second most abundant and important of the carbonate minerals. It is the principal ore of magnesium metal as well as the source of the magnesium utilised by the chemical industry. Hence, it is not a correct option.
Option D. Alunite: It is a sulphate mineral ore and is used as a potash source or for making alum. Also known as ‘Alum Stone’, it is a widespread rock-forming sulphate mineral found in the pockets or seams of volcanic rocks. Hence, it is also an incorrect option.

Thus, the correct answer is Option B. Hematite.

Note: Iron ores are primarily used in the production of iron. The majority of the iron produced (98%) is further used to make steel. Steel is used to make thousands of other items like automobiles, locomotives, tools, etc. The remaining 2% is utilized to make powdered iron and radioactive iron (iron 59).