Development can be defined as the systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge to meet specific objectives or requirements. It is also an extension of the practical and hypothetical aspects of a design, concept, discovery, or invention.
There are various aspects of development which are summarised below:-
• Different persons can have different developmental goals
• It is not necessary that development for one may not suit others. It may even be destructive for others. For e.g. Industrialists may require dams for the generation of electricity for propelling their industries. The same dams may be resented by those who are displaced.
• It is very important to keep in mind that different persons could have different as well as conflicting notions of a country’s development.
• National development means thinking about a fair and just path for all, whether there is a better way of doing things.
• It pertains to the growth of an individual, a society, a nation or the entire world
• Development involves thinking about the betterment of life and working towards progress.
• Other common developmental goals are Increase in income, equal treatment, freedom, security, end of discrimination, a decent standard of living.
• We have aspirations or desires about what we would like to do and how we would like to live.
• It is only through a democratic political process that these hopes and possibilities can be achieved in real life. People seek things that are most important for them, i.e., that which can fulfil their aspirations or desires