CBSE Class 8 Social Science Worksheet Chapter 1 How When and Where - Free PDF with Solutions
Social Science or SST is one of the scoring subjects in Class 8. There are different chapters and topics related to historical events, trade, territory etc., and one such chapter is How, When, and Where. In this chapter, students will learn how, when, and where different historical events took place in India and other countries. Students will learn what the reason behind starting various historical events was. Well-curated PDFs contain MCQs, ques/ans, etc. that can benefit students to learn according to the exam pattern.
If students focus on the chapter and get help from the Class 8 History Chapter 1 worksheet, they can easily score very good marks in their exams. PDFs and worksheets are a new way of summarising and understanding the chapter. Students can easily level up their knowledge and insights on the chapter if they study from PDFs.
Access Worksheet for Class 8 Social Sicence Chapter 1 – How, When and Where
1. What do you understand about History?
2. In how many parts Indian History is divided?
3. In what kinds of events dates can be determined?
4. What do you mean by ‘colonialism’?
5. What do official records lack?
6. Who was James Mill? Which book did he write?
7. What was the fundamental problem with James Mill's idea of history?
8. What is the Modern Period associated with?
9. A mutiny broke out in the ships in 1946. Name it?
10. Indian history is divided into how many parts? Name it.
11. When did James Mill write the book ‘A History of British India’.
12. Who writes in beautiful language?
Write True or False for the following questions:
13. History is all about dates.
14. Official Records also tell the personal opinions of normal people.
15. The British believed in surveys and planning for efficient administration.
16. The British established archives and museums to preserve official records and writings.
17. Why did surveys become very important in British Rule?
18. How do we get to know of history other than official records?
19. In 1946, during a police strike in Delhi, how many policemen refused to take food?
20. James Mill divided Indian History into three parts namely:
Hindi, English, Bengali
Hindu, Muslim, Christians
Hindu, Muslim, Pakistan
Hindu, Muslim, British
21. The first revolution against the British Raj in India happened in ____________.
22. Why did the British think preserving documents was important?
23. What is the difference between the historian reports from old newspapers versus police reports?
24. What was the problem in periodisation of the basis of religion?
25. When did British Rule start in India?
Answer for Worksheet:
1. History is about changes happening over a period of time. It deals with periods which led to changes in the past and how they were relevant.
2. Indian History is divided into three parts, ‘ancient’, ‘mediaeval’ and ‘modern’ history.
3. As it is very important to date any event in history because any kind of change does not happen on a particular date. Although, dates can be determined in cases of marriage, death, birth or date of independence.
4. Colonialism is a process by which a powerful country (coloniser) directly controls a less powerful country (colony) to increase their power and resources. For example, the British colonised India to extract their raw materials and resources.
5. Official records are written records kept and read in libraries and manuals. Official records fail to take views of normal people into consideration. Their stories, views and lives were left unrecorded.
6. James Mill was a Scottish economist and political philosopher. He published a massive three-volume work called ‘A History of British India’. In this India’s history was divided into three periods namely Hindu, Muslim and British.
7. James Mill’s idea of history was that all Asian Societies were at a lower level than that of Europeans. He also described India as full of religious taboos, tolerance and caste based issues. He also mentioned that Europeans manners and institutions were set up to resolve these issues. The British in reality exploited India’s raw resources and land. They used this territory solely for their own benefit.
8. The Modern Period is associated with the growth of all forces of modernity. It includes science, reason, equality, liberty and freedom.
9. Royal Indian Navy
10. Ancient, Medieval and Modern
17. Surveys became very important in British Rule. They conducted various surveys or colonial administration. Detailed surveys were conducted in all the areas about flora, fauna, soil, cropping pattern, topography, etc. Census started every ten years with proper documentation. Proper reports were prepared of all the surveys for efficient and effective administration. Botanical, Zoological and Forest Surveys are some of the surveys conducted by the British.
18. Apart from the official records in museums and archives, there are diaries of people, accounts of pilgrims, travellers and people. There are autobiographies of people written by them. There are also some newspapers which give accounts of many important accidents. One disadvantage of these sources is that it is all written by literate people and we still lack the events that happened in normal people’s lives.
19. (b) 2000 Policemen
20. (d) Hindu, Muslim and British
22. In order to study the records later on, as well as to serve as proofs in future.
23. Information collected by historians can be official or unofficial and can be in the form of a narrative. Police reports are administrative and deal with the procedure, whereas newspapers have more context and opinions on the subject.
24. There is no period in Indian History which can be strictly classified as Hindu or Muslim as these two groups have always existed simultaneously and classifying a period by the religion of the ruler is flawed.
Benefits of Learning from Class 8 Social Science Worksheets with Answers PDF
Some benefits of using worksheets and PDFs to prepare the lessons are listed below:
The worksheet and pdf contain how when and where Class 8 MCQ, which is really helpful for the right preparation for the exam. Students can understand the chapter in one go with the help of the pdf.
The worksheet and PDF both come in handy because they contain chapter explanations and the summary, which can help students learn the lesson easily.
After understanding the lesson thoroughly, students can easily use the social science pdf to solve question answers in the Class 8 History Chapter 1 worksheet.
The students can easily clarify the concept of various historical events and why they took place by solving Class 8 SST History chapter questions in the PDF.
The PDFs and worksheets are great for clearing tough topics, and if students want to understand the concept of the chapter easily, they learn a lot of insights about the chapter by practising how when and where Class 8 questions and answers.
Exercises and Questions on the Chapter How When and Where
Here are some examples of how when and where questions and answers for Class 8 students will help them learn the concept easily:
1. Fill in the blanks.
The rice was first grown in ______.
Language used by ordinary people is called ________.
Some lakes are seasonal while others are______.
The area along with the south of Ganga is called _____.
2. Answer the following questions.
Explain sources. How many sources are there?
What is the meaning of the word India and where does it come from?
Write a brief note about ancient India.
Where are Garo hills?
What are manuscripts? Where is it usually written?
Download Class 8 Social Science Worksheets with Answers PDF
With the help of Class 8 Social Science worksheets with answers pdf, it is easy to clear all the doubts about the chapter how, when, and where. The PDFs explain each subtopic in detail and understandable language.
The PDFs and Class 8 History Chapter 1 worksheet act as a chapter summary, and students can easily download the pdf from the Vedantu website.
The PDF has various exercises with solutions, and students can easily understand the concept, and it is hard to remember with the help of the PDF. The Class 8 SST History chapter is easy to understand with the help of the PDF.
The PDF is easily accessible and printable, and it contains short question answers and detailed how when and where Class 8 MCQ, which will act as a blueprint of the chapter.
Lastly, the subject matter experts at Vedantu have created a Class 8 Social Science worksheets with answers pdf. These pdfs are made after researching the topic deeply. The questions in the PDFs are very helpful for students and are based on the exam pattern. Therefore, Class 8 can use these free downloadable PDFs to make their preparation easy.
FAQs on CBSE Class 8 Social Science Worksheet Chapter 1 How When and Where - PDF
1. Why did the British preserve official documents?
The British preserved official documents because they thought they wrote and recorded everything important. They kept official records so that those records could serve as proof of all the decisions they had taken in the future.
2. How can students learn this chapter easily?
The easiest way to prepare this chapter is to learn it and summarise it with the help of a PDF. Downloadable and printable PDFs of this chapter will help students in the preparation.
3. What will students learn from this chapter?
Students will learn how different things occur over a period of time and how things were in the past and how they have changed in recent times.