Questions & Answers
Question
Answers

Sulphuric acid is known as the king of acids.
State whether the given statement is true or false.
A. True
B. False

Answer Verified Verified
Hint: It is a colorless, odorless and viscous liquid that is soluble in water and is synthesized in reactions that are highly exothermic. It is widely used in the manufacture of chemicals, e.g., in making hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, sulfate salts, synthetic detergents dyes etc.

Complete step by step answer:
Now, let us first know about Sulphuric acid!
Sulphuric acid is one of the most important industrial chemicals. It’s a mineral acid composed of the elements sulfur, oxygen and hydrogen. Sulfuric acid is prepared industrially by the reaction of water with sulfur trioxide which in turn is made by a chemical combination of sulfur and oxygen. Concentrated sulphuric acid has a very strong affinity for water. It is sometimes used as a drying agent and can be used to dehydrate.

Let us see how Sulphuric acid is produced!
The two major processes for the production of sulphuric acid are the lead chamber process and contact process. The lead chamber process produces relatively dilute acid, at a maximum concentration of 78%. Sulphuric acid with as well as oleum had to be obtained from this through multiple distillation.
The Contact process produces purer raw materials and uses a less expensive catalyst; this process produces sulfur trioxide and oleum as well. Some sulfuric acid is also made from ferrous sulfate waste solutions from pickling iron and steel and even from waste acid sludge from oil refineries.

Why is Sulphuric acid called the king of acids?
It is known as the King of acids because it is the most reactive acid and it can dissolve other acids. In some or the other way sulphuric acid is involved in the manufacture of certain chemicals, explosives, acids , dyes , wood and soaps are some of the things manufactured with the help of sulphuric acid.

Therefore, the given statement is true!

Note: Drinking pure sulphuric acid would kill you rapidly and horribly since it both absorbs water and reacts chemically to extract water from other substances. It would cause severe burns to your mouth, throat and stomach.
Bookmark added to your notes.
View Notes
×