Food is necessary for every living being. We need food for our bodies. It is a quick source of energy. There is a variety of foods to eat in the world, so it is up to us what we want to eat and we have to decide which nutrients we have to consume, either junk or healthy. We know how important food is for the development of our muscles, growth, body, mental health and more. Read this article completely to know about what food is and its definition, importance, types, functions etc.
What is Food?
Food is any substance that is made up of carbohydrates, fats, minerals, vitamins and proteins and is absorbed by the living world. Food is all those essential substances which we consume for conducting and regulating our biological activities. It gives us the energy to perform our day-to-day activities. Without food, no living organisms can survive, thus it is very essential.
There are five major types of food we find for you which should be included in your daily diet to keep your body healthy and fit.
1. Vegetables: Vegetables are plants that are high in phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals and are important components of our diet.
Healthy Food Items - Fruits and Vegetables
2. Fruits: The fruits are obtained directly from the plants. Phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc. are found in it and are easily available.
3. Dairy: Dairy products are an excellent source of calcium for our bones and teeth, such as milk, etc.
4. Poultry and Meats: Poultry and meat are high in protein and vitamins which helps in building tissues and muscles and provides immunity. Such as eggs, chicken, meat and fish.
5. Grains and Legumes: Grains and legumes are derived from plants which are rich in high fibre.
Grains and Legumes
What are the Functions of Food?
There are many physiological functions of food which are somehow connected with the body of the organism such as providing energy, helpful in the growth and development of the body, protecting against disease, etc.
The main functions are listed below:
By consuming food, we get energy.
Food repairs the body composition or wear and tear of the organism.
Food helps in the growth and development of the body.
Food develops fertility.
Food protects us from diseases by creating immunity against them.
1. Why do all organisms need to eat food?
Ans: As we know, energy is required to keep any organism alive. All living beings get their energy through their food which is rich in carbohydrates, fats, minerals, vitamins and proteins. By consuming food items regularly, all living beings remain alive, otherwise, they die. Therefore, any organism must eat regularly to survive.
2. Why should we include varieties of foods in our diet?
Ans: When an organism eats a variety of foods, the body gets all kinds of elements and necessary nutrition, which helps in the growth and development of our body. For example, proteins are required for the repairing of cells.
3. What is closely related to food?
Ans: Food is closely related to our health.
Learning by Doing
Write True or False.
1. The absorption of food into the body is called "nutrition".
2. Food makes our bodies weak.
3. Food protects us from diseases by making our immune systems strong.
4. Food and health are interconnected.
Food is that food item which gives energy to the living being by consuming it. Keeps the body healthy and protects it from diseases. It helps in the creation, development, reproduction, operation and regulation of biological functions etc. As you have known in this chapter, we have studied many things related to food. Now, you must have understood what is called food and its definition as well as other things related to food.