Question & Answer
QUESTION

Mr. Kamnath purchased 2 towels for Rs. 90 each, 3 shirts for Rs. 220 each and 4 trousers for Rs. 290 each from Swarajya Khadi Bhandar, Wardha. The Bhandar gave 30% rebate. Find the amount Mr. Kamnath paid.

ANSWER Verified Verified
Hint: To solve the question, we have to calculate the total cost of 2 towels, 3 shirts and 4 trousers, using the given cost of each piece. We have to analyse that the given information states Mr. Kamnath didn’t pay the total cost since Swarajya Khadi Bhandar gave 30% rebate to him. Thus, only the remaining 70% was paid by Mr. Kamnath.

Complete step-by-step answer:
We know that the total cost of n items purchased for Rs. x each \[=n\times x=nx\] rupees.
The total cost of 2 towels purchased for Rs. 90 each \[=2\times 90=180\] rupees.
The total cost of 3 shirts purchased for Rs. 220 each \[=3\times 220=660\] rupees.
The total cost of 4 trousers purchased for Rs. 290 each \[=4\times 290=1160\] rupees.
The total cost of commodities Mr. Kamnath purchased from Swarajya Khadi Bhandar, Wardha = Sum of cost of 2 towels, 3 shirts and 4 trousers
= 180 + 660 + 1160
= 840 + 1160
= Rs. 2000
 The given percentage of rebate the Swarajya Khadi Bhandar gave to Mr. Kamnath = 30%
This implies that the percentage of total cost paid by Mr. Kamnath = 100% - 30% = 70%
Thus, the amount Mr. Kamnath paid = 70% of Rs. 2000
\[\begin{align}
  & =\dfrac{70}{100}\times 2000 \\
 & =70\times 20 \\
 & =1400 \\
\end{align}\]
\[\therefore \] The amount Mr. Kamnath paid is equal to Rs. 1400.

Note: The possibility of mistake can be, not calculating the total cost of 2 towels, 3 shirts and 4 trousers, since only the cost of each piece is given. The other possibility can be, not analysing the given information that Mr. Kamnath didn’t pay the total cost since Swarajya Khadi Bhandar gave 30% rebate to him. Thus, only the remaining amount was paid by Mr. Kamnath.