Courses
Courses for Kids
Free study material
Offline Centres
More
Store Icon
Store

When is earth day celebrated throughout the world?

seo-qna
Last updated date: 21st Jul 2024
Total views: 350.1k
Views today: 5.50k
Answer
VerifiedVerified
350.1k+ views
Hint: The Earth is the third planet from the Sun and the only known astronomical object to support life. Land, which includes continents and islands, accounts for approximately 29.2 percent of the Earth's surface. The remaining 70.8 percent is covered by water, mostly in the form of oceans, seas, gulfs, and other salt-water bodies, but also in the form of lakes, rivers, and other freshwater bodies, which comprise the hydrosphere.

Complete answer:
Earth Day is a yearly event held on April 22 to show support for environmental protection. It began on April 22, 1970, and has since grown to include a diverse range of events coordinated globally by EarthDay.org (formerly Earth Day Network). including one billion people in 193 countries

Peace activist John McConnell proposed a day to honour the Earth and the concept of peace at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco in 1969, to be observed for the first time on March 21, 1970, the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere. This day of nature's equilibrium was later recognized by the United Nations in a proclamation written by McConnell and signed by Secretary-General U Thant.
The first Earth Day commemorated the United States. Denis Hayes, the original national coordinator in 1970, took it international in 1990, organizing events in 141 countries.

Thus, Earth day is celebrated throughout the world on 22 April.

Note: Numerous communities participated in Earth Day Week activities, an entire week of activities focusing on the world's environmental issues. On Earth Day 2020, more than 100 million people worldwide celebrated the 50th anniversary of what is being called the largest online mass mobilization in history.