Class 6 The Articles English Grammar - Importance of English Grammar for Class 6 Students
English Grammar for Class 6 The Articles is basically the study of grammar to excel in the English language. Thus, the students must take English Grammar as one of the core subjects quite seriously. Also, students who are further attempting to study for masters and higher education in the English language must not fuss with this subject at their basic levels. In these classes, learning effective grammar will take a student on a long career development path.
In this article, we will be studying Class 6 The Articles English Grammar and we will be notifying you about the topics that are included in the Class 6 th English Grammar Syllabus 2023-24. Students must note that we are discussing the general syllabus for Class 6 The Articles English Grammar, you must once cross-check with your own respective school’s or board’s syllabus for 2023-24.
Last updated date: 26th Sep 2023
Total views: 28.5k
Views today: 0.28k
English Grammar for class 6 The Articles Download free PDF
In today's lesson, we will discuss Articles and their usage in English grammar. A term used before a noun to indicate whether it is specialized or general is known as an article.
The words "a," "an," and "the" are determining factors or noun indicators that serve to indicate whether a noun is referring to something general or specific. Normally, articles come before nouns, and because they are employed to describe the noun, they can be thought of as adjectives.
A, An, The are the Three Articles
Types of Articles with Examples:
The definite article in English is "the," and it is used to refer to certain nouns whose identities are known. The definite article denotes the specificity of the noun. The speaker discusses a specific topic.
The cat was seated on the sofa.
The dog bit me and took off.
Here are Some More Instances:
I'll pick you up from the airport.
We stayed at the beach all day.
I need to acquire some euros from the bank, therefore I must go.
Do you get along with the students in your class?
Indefinite articles refers to something that is not evident, plain, or precise. They are referred to as "indefinite" since it is unknown or not specified who or what is being spoken about. The use of the indefinite article shows that there is no specific person or thing identified by the word. The speaker discusses anything of that nature. The English words "a" and "an" are used as indefinite articles.
Do you have a pencil?
I would want an apple.
Here are Some More Instances:
I've purchased an automobile.
She is in a relationship.
There was an abruptly loud noise.
You missed the celebration, which is a shame.
I overheard a child sobbing.
He submitted a citizenship application.
Chris works as an office cleaner in the evenings.
Uses of Definite and Indefinite Articles
A. Use of Definite Articles:
1. When referring to a specific person or thing, the definite article is used.
1. At the zoo, I saw the lion.
2. I'm headed to the medical centre.
3. Let's visit the market by the beach.
Use of Articles
2. When a singular noun serves as the exemplar of a class, the definite article is used before it.
Example: The shark is a fish that consumes meat
The dodo bird has now become extinct.
3. Before some adjectives, the definite article is used to denote a class.
Example: Do the wealthy contribute fairly?
How can the underprivileged salvage capitalism?
4. When referring to anything that has already been discussed, the definite article is used.
Example: Yesterday I bought a skirt. The cost of the skirt was extremely affordable.
5. Before an adjective qualifies as a proper noun, the definite article is used.
1. The magnificent Taj Mahal is the crowning achievement of Muslim art in India.
2. The stunning Red fort is well known for its gardens.
6. Before the names of musical instruments, the definite article is used.
Example: The farm needs to be manured.
7. Superlatively, the definite article is used before adjectives.
Example: Moraine Lake is among the most stunning locations on earth
Before words like sun, earth, sea, moon, stars, sky, ocean, equator, etc. ‘the’ is used.
East is where the sun rises.
used before the proper names of the seas and the oceans.
North America is bordered by the Pacific Ocean. Evaporation is causing the Caspian Sea to get smaller.
used before some river, canal, and desert proper names.
India's holiest river is the Ganga.
The Sahara Desert is the world's largest.
used before several of the country and mountain proper names.
A continental collision is represented by the Himalayan mountain range.
The USA is a developing nation.
used before some newspaper and holy book proper names.
The renowned sage Vyasa is credited with writing the Mahabharata.
An English-language daily newspaper is called The Hindu.
used before specific island group proper names.
West of India lies in between the Andaman and Nicobar islands.
Examples of the Articles
B. Use of Indefinite Articles:
1. When a noun is used for the first time and does not refer to a specific person or thing, the indefinite article is typically used to indicate this.
Example: Last night, I watched a movie.
2. Before words that indicate time and measurement, profession, religion, and nationality, the indefinite article is typically used.
Example: I'm an Indian.
3. One, or a solitary number, is denoted by the indefinite article.
For instance, my mother handed me a book.
4. When the indefinite article provides the sense of any, it is utilized to identify a certain person as the representative of a class.
Consider a bird as an animal with wings.
5. Words like half and quiet are used with the indefinite article.
For instance, Carl purchased a half-kilo of tomatoes from the market.
Difficult Words with Meanings
Lead, move towards
Special modifiers called articles are used before nouns or noun phrases. They aid in defining the meaning of the noun in your phrase, much like other adjectives. There are only three articles in English: the, a, and its variant an, which are used before words that begin with vowels, and the, which is used before a known and particular noun. The many sorts of articles and their applications with examples are listed in this chapter. Let's dive in and learn how to use them effectively with some questions.
Choose one of these to complete each sentence: a, an, the, or (no word).
1. When can you usually see ______ sun, in the night, or the morning?
2. I saw _____very bright star in the sky a few months ago.
3. I forgot to bring my eraser. Do you have ______ eraser I could borrow?
4. I have a new phone. _____ phone is black.
5. What is ____ capital city of India? Is it Chennai or NewDelhi?
1. Right Answer: C
When can you usually see the sun, in the night, or the morning?
2. Right Answer: C
I saw a very bright star in the sky a few months ago.
3. Right Answer: C
I forgot to bring my eraser. Do you have an eraser I could borrow?
4. Right Answer: B
I have a new phone. The phone is black.
5. Right Answer: A
What is the capital city of India? Is it Chennai or NewDelhi?
NCERT Solutions - Class 6 The Articles Grammar Solution
NCERT Solutions for English Grammar serves as a comprehensive solution book for the students of Class 6 The Articles who are willing to expertise in the English Grammar subject.
The Class 6th English Grammar syllabus is comprehensively mentioned in this NCERT Solutions. Exhaustive Class 6 Grammar topics are present in the NCERT Solutions. Also, this is to ensure that students from any board can refer to the NCERT Solutions for English Grammar Class 6 The Articles.