Courses
Courses for Kids
Free study material
Offline Centres
More
Store Icon
Store

Which of the following Indian states has maximum reserves of Gypsum?
A) Himachal Pradesh
B) Jammu and Kashmir
C) Rajasthan
D) Tamil Nadu

seo-qna
Last updated date: 13th Jul 2024
Total views: 346.8k
Views today: 5.46k
Answer
VerifiedVerified
346.8k+ views
Hint: Gypsum, or calcium sulphate dihydrate, is a soft sulphate mineral with the chemical formula $CaSO_4 2H_2O$. It is commonly mined and used as a fertiliser as well as a primary ingredient in a variety of plaster, blackboard/sidewalk chalk, and drywall products.

Complete answer:
In India, gypsum mining is primarily carried out in Rajasthan, which accounts for around 90 percent of total production; Jammu and Kashmir and Gujarat account for the remaining 10%.

Now, let us look at the given options:
A) Himachal Pradesh: This option is incorrect. Himachal Pradesh is rich in minerals such as limestone, dolomite, marble, etc.
B) Jammu and Kashmir: This option is incorrect. Copper, lead, zinc, bauxite, chromium, gold, arsenic, kaolinite, ochre, coal, lignite, slate, marble, sapphire, rubellite, quartz, and serpentine are some of the significant minerals found in the state.
C) Rajasthan: This is the correct answer. The state of Rajasthan has the most gypsum reserves, according to the states. It is responsible for 81 percent of all capital. As a result, Rajasthan is considered India's largest producer of gypsum. It can be found in Bikaner, Nagaur, and Jaisalmer, among other places.
D) Tamil Nadu: This option is incorrect. A large portion of Tamil Nadu's mineral wealth is concentrated in the Salem District, which contains a wide range of important minerals such as Magnesite, Dunite, Bauxite, Limestone, Iron ore, Quartz, Feldspar, and Soapstone, as well as Granites.

Thus, the correct answer is Option C.

Note: Rajasthan, Gujarat, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh all have gypsum reserves. Rajasthan produces nearly all of India's gypsum, with western and northwestern Rajasthan accounting for nearly all of it. Seawater and phosphoric acid plants, in addition to mineral gypsum, are essential sources of gypsum.