A river is defined as a natural flowing watercourse, generally freshwater, flowing towards an ocean, sea, lake or another river. We will be discussing here the names of the top 10 longest rivers of the world along with their location, length in kilometres, and sources. River is one of the crucial parts of the hydrological cycle. While some rivers are fed by the melting snow of the glaciers, others get their water from rain, groundwater recharge, and springs. There are a good many rivers in the world. Different rivers have different characteristics. Some are really long and cover thousands of kilometres before emptying themselves into a sea or ocean.
The Longest Rivers of The World
The top 10 rivers of the world along with their location, length in kilometre, and source are as follows:
1. Amazon River: Amazon River is found in South America. It has a length of 6,992 kilometres. Amazon River originates from Mantaro River.
2. Nile River: Nile River is found in North East Africa. It has a length of 6,853 kilometres. The sources of Nile River are White Nile and Blue Nile.
3. Yangtze River: Yangtze River is found in China. It has a length of 6,300 kilometres. Yangtze River originates from Jianggendiru Glacier.
4. Mississippi Missouri River: Mississippi- Missouri River is found in the USA. It has a length of 6,275 kilometres. The source of the river is Lake Itasca.
5. Yenisei Angara Selenga River: Yenisei- Angara – Selenga River is found in Russia and flows through Mongolia. It has a length of 5,539 km. The river originates from Eastern Tuva (Sayan Mountains).
6. Yellow River: Yellow River is found in China. It has a length of 5,464 km. The source of the river is Bayan Har Mountains.
7. Ob- Irtysh River: Ob- Irtysh River flows through Russia, Kazakhstan, China and Mongolia. It has a length of 5,410 km. The river originates from Irtysh Springs in the Altai Range.
8. Congo Chambeshi River: Congo- Chambeshi River is found in Central Africa. It has a length of 4,700 km. The source of the river is Lualaba River.
9. Amur Argun River: Amur- Argun River flows through Russia, China and Mongolia. It has a length of 4,444 km. The river originates from the Western part of North East China.
10. Lena River: Lena River is in Russia. It has a length of 4,294 km. The source of the river is Baikal Mountains.
The above rivers are the top 10 longest rivers of the world. Together they form one of the greatest parts in the hydrological cycle of the planet. Rivers also play a crucial role in agriculture, industries, etc. Several industries develop on the banks of rivers. The world’s largest rainforest is drained and fed by the Amazon River. It is the habitat of numerous wild lives like anaconda, panthers, etc. Yellow River in China is also called the ‘River of Sorrow’ because of the distress it brings with the flood. Every river has some specific significance. The Ganges, for example, is the lifeline of India. In world geography, river is, quite logically, one of the much discussed topics.