Explain the main challenges faced by Indian Democracy ?
Democracy refers to a political system in which government is formed by the people, implemented either directly or through elected representatives. Although it has been accepted as the best form of Government in the modern world. Yet it has its own problems. Most of the established democracies of the world face the challenges but they different from country to country. The three main challenges of democracy are:
• Foundational challenge
• Challenge of expansion
• Deepening of democracy
Other challenges are:
1) Poverty, health care, low literacy rate, over population, unemployment are prevalent in most parts of India, hampering national progress.
2) Caste and gender discrimination continues to prevail in Indian Society, slackening advancement and development.
3) Rampant corruption, red tapism, delays in Public Justice are weakening the foundation of Democracy.
4) Exploitation of minorities in different castes and religions for narrow political gains has undermined the whole concept of democracy.
5) Use of money and muscle power during elections reflects Democracy's shortcomings.