Will NEET 2020 Be Difficult After The Merger of AIIMS and JIPMER?

by Sagar Mankar, August 28, 2020

NEET 2019 Analysis

The NEET 2019 test was lengthy but moderately difficult as per the students who appeared for the exam last year. According to the students, the biology section of the exam was time-consuming and physics and chemistry were a bit difficult if not too lengthy like biology. 49% of the paper was based on 11th std topics and the rest 51% on 12th Std topics. Overall, 50% of the questions in the paper were easy and the other half was moderate to difficult.


Will NEET 2020 be Difficult After AIIMS and JIPMER Merger?

Until 2019, admissions to All India Institute of Medical Sciences AIIMS for Graduate courses were given on the basis of AIIMS PMT and to Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education - JIPMER was given on the basis of separate PMT results conducted independently by these institutions. However, The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India decided to merge the admissions to AIIMS and JIPMER through one centralized common entrance exam that is NEET. This suggests that post-2019, from the year 2020 NEET scores will help get an admission in any of these institutes. This news created a lot of stir among the medical applicants of 2020.


Students were speculating about the difficulty level of the NEET exams because AIIMS MBBS is considered to be the toughest and JIPMER UG the easiest medical admission entrance exams. Thus, the merger creates concern among the aspirants, as to how difficult it would be to secure good marks and crack the NEET.


Difficulty Level of NEET 2020

Although the NEET 2020 was speculated to be more difficult after the AIIMS and NEET were combined, Vineet Joshi, the Director - General of NTA clarified that the standard of the NEET exam paper will remain unchanged. NTA - National Test Agency is the autonomous body which conducts the NEET exams every year. Mr. Joshi stated that the merger will not affect the standard of the entrance test in the future. It is thus clear that the difficulty level of NEET 2020 will be the same as NEET 2019. He also added that the AIIMS MBBS test pattern was a bit different from the NEET exam pattern and that there were certain sections that will now be excluded in the NEET. So, to clarify, AIIMS will take admissions on the basis of NEET exams from the year 2020 onwards.


What do Experts say About the Merger?

As per expert opinions, the JIPMER and AIIMS exams were conducted online for the past two years and the difficulty levels of both the exams were very different. The JIPMER UG entrance exam was easy, scoring and medical aspirants could crack it with a decent preparation. On the other hand, the AIIMS MBBS test was totally different. It had a different pattern from other entrance tests and the difficulty level was high. Particularly in the 2019 physics paper, the entrance test questions were quite tough to solve.


When it comes to NEET, the questions are set by NTA in the NEET entrance test. The AIIMS papers used to have questions that crossed the boundaries of the syllabus, but the NTA sets questions keeping the syllabus in lieu. Even after the merger, the entire paper of 2020 NEET will be set by NTA. So, it’s a relief to the students, because they may not worry about the difficulty level of the paper. The 2020 NEET exam will not be as tough as aspirants are worried about. With good preparation and thorough practice, it will be easy to crack the NEET 2020.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

1. Is NEET 2020 canceled?

Answer- The NEET 2020 was postponed following the pandemic in July, but there is no such news of the cancellation of the entrance exam by NTA. If there is any such news about the cancellations, the NTA will issue an official notification beforehand.

2. What is the revised date of the examination of NEET 2020?

Answer- As of now, the revised date after the postpone of the NEET 2020 in July is 13th September 2020. NTA has not announced any postponement or cancellation on this date yet, but if the situations get worse following the pandemic, the exams may get postponed, but the final announcement will be made by the NTA prior.

3. Will NEET 2020 be tougher than NEET 2019?

Answer- The NTA DG Vineet Joshi has clarified that the standard of the paper will be the same as the 2019 exam. Even after the merger, there will be no change in the pattern or standard of the paper. Students may crack the NEET 2020 with organized study and preparation. So, it is crucial to maintain a routine study and practice and not fear about the difficulty level of the exam.

4. Is there any change in the syllabus of NEET 2020?

Answer- There is no change in the syllabus as of now, as per the government authorities. Any changes made will be informed well in advance to the students. Last year NEET paper was based on 49% of 11th Std syllabus and the rest 51% on the 12th Std syllabus. Prepare and revise the topics as much as possible to secure good marks in the entrance test.

Will NEET 2020 Be Difficult After The Merger of AIIMS and JIPMER?