What is NTA for NEET

by Asmita Kundu, March 3, 2020

The National Medical Commission Act, 2019 received approval from the President on 8th August, 2019. The National Medical Commission Act under section 14, proposed for getting a common and uniform entrance examination called National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) for admission to the undergraduate medical courses in all medical institutions including those which are governed under any other law. Therefore, the admission to MBBS and BDS course in AIIMS, New Delhi, JIPMER and for all the AIIMS Institutions will also be made through NEET (NMC Act, 2019)

The responsibility of NEET NTA exam is limited to inviting online application, conduct of the entrance test, declaration of result and providing All India Rank to the Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Family Welfare and Health, Government of India.

NTA NEET

National Testing Agency (NTA) has decided to conduct NEET 2020 in pen paper mode for admission to Medical, Dental, AYUSH, AIIMS and JIPMER. NEET correction window 2020 facility will be available from January 15 till January 31, for aspirants who wish to modify or delete the fields in the already filled application. There are totally around 2456 exam centres across 155 cities in India. On January 6, 2020, NTA successfully completed the NEET registration process which was started in the month of December, 2019. With the merging of AIIMS and JIPMER admissions into NEET, the number of NEET NTA applicants are expected to be more than 15 lakhs for this year. Only aspirants whose application form will be submitted and accepted by NTA will be able to download NEET admit card 2020 from March 27 onwards. Candidates who receive admit cards will be able to appear for NEET 2020 exam.

When the authorities wind up the NEET 2020, then the candidates can check NEET answer key which is released by leading coaching centres on the day of examination. The official NEET 2020 answer key will be released by NTA in the last week of May along with OMR sheet. NTA NEET result will be declared on June 4, 2020 (expected) in online mode along with the final answer key and qualifying cutoff. Candidates who are qualified for NEET can apply for 15% in All India counselling quota which is conducted by Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) tentatively in June while the counselling for the remaining 85% state admissions into private institutes will be organised thereafter by respective state admission committees. Medical Counselling Committee will conduct the NEET counselling for admission to all seats in Deemed and Central Universities, ESIC & AFMC institutes.

Eligibility for 85% State Quota Seat:

Around 85% of the total seats of all the colleges will be reserved for home state candidates through the process of state counselling. The remaining 15% would be open for candidates from other states which will be filled by all India centralized counselling. To apply for the seats in the home state quota, the candidate should meet the following criteria:

  • The candidate must have completed 10th and 12th grade from the state board.

  • Should possess a valid domicile of the state

  • Should possess a residency proof of the state

Eligibility for 15% All India Quota Seats

  • The candidates must be an Indian National or Non-Resident Indians (NRI) or Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) or Foreign Nationals.

  • The student should have completed 17 years of age on or before 31st December of the year of admission.

  • The age limit for applying from general category is 25 years and for SC/ST/OBC it is 30 years and Physically challenged category.

  • Students from Jammu and Kashmir are eligible to appear for the exam for admission to Private Medical/Dental Colleges or any Private/Deemed.

  • University and AFMC Pune after self-declaration. They will not be eligible for the 15% quota in All India Quota seats.

Changes in NEET 2020 

There will not be any change in the exam pattern and syllabus. There is a lot of confusion around that NTA is going to make some changes in the NEET 2020 exam pattern and syllabus due to inclusion of AIIMS and JIPMER MBBS admission through NEET. Students can focus on the previous year papers and sample papers to know the pattern of the paper. 

NTA Latest News for NEET : NEET 2020 Changes

NEET latest news and updates 2020 suggests that National Medical Commision(NMC) bill targets replacing the Medical Council of India (MCI) which is nearly sixty three years old. Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Minister of MoHFW proposed the bill in the Parliament on July 22, 2019. The bill will bring in changes as mentioned below:

  • The medical field will be strong with the presence of highly qualified and enough number of medical professionals.

  • Medical professionals will be able to adopt the latest methodologies of medical research.

  • The National Medical Commision(NMC) bill will assure periodic evaluation of all the medical institutions.

  • Moreover, there will be an effective mechanism for objective redressal.

NEET 2020 New Rules

As per the new rules of the dress code for NEET 2020, clothing must be very simple. There should not be any embroidery or buttons to the dress. Girls must follow the rules of NEET dress code 2020 for female and male. You have to avoid all metallic or non-metallic jewellery. NTA NEET exam 2020 dress code has approved customary dress for candidates who observe certain religious practices. 

Therefore, the Dress code for NEET 2020 allows Sikh candidates to carry their traditional kangha, kara, kirpan, etc with them. You can wear a burqa also because NEET has made the customary items for the specified religion candidates.

NTA NEET NIC in 2020

NEET allows the students to raise objections after it publishes the answer key. In 2019 too, if a student would have found any answer in the NEET answer key 2019 to be erroneous; he/she could have challenged the answer. As per NTA, a student has to pay Rs 100 for every objection raised. If there is indeed any mistake in the answer key, the student will get back his/her money spent on challenging that specific answer.

After you get your hands on the NEET NTA answer key, you will need to go to the NTA NEET website and log in using your candidate password. Upon logging in, you will find the link to challenge the NTA specified answers.

What is NTA for NEET